- Be very concise. Make simple points. Address main ideas as opposed to trying to cover every point made by Johnson.
- Follow the rubric on blog posts.
- Original post is due Sunday, May 30 at 11PM
- Respond to questions posed to you and respond to at least one classmate by Sunday, June 6 11PM.
ARC I 2011 Math Methods blog for reflection, discussion and dissemination of information.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Jonnson's Motivation
Choose a couple main points from this book and explain how they inform your concept of effective teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My AOL manager had an expression, "a simple plan executed well always beats a sophisticated plan executed poorly". Or, alternatively as my Drill Instructor (both a Korean and Vietnam War Veteran) more colorfully communicated “you have to have a plan that is so simple, that even when those #$%@*s start shooting at you, the average Marine can still remember what to do”. I am a big believer in simple plans, straight forward directions, ensuring people know not just "what" they are to do but also "why" they are to do it, what is the road map (end goal),interim checkpoints, how the task they have been instructed to complete supports the end goal, etc. In short, it’s my observation that too many people and organizations feel they must develop complex solutions to problems - when a simple solution is often the best.
ReplyDeleteWhat Johnson has provided us with, (I will cheat a bit and observe Lemov continues in the same vein) are dozens of common sense, easy to execute techniques to improve learning. Both my brother and sister are elementary school teachers, they became nearly apoplectic when I told them about ARC and how the program’s mission is to turn me in to High School math teacher in a summer. I realize we will become much more polished teachers as we gain experience, but it strikes me that techniques such as those described by Johnson must provide us with a goodly portion of our initial foundation of teaching skills.
It’s my observation that, like many organizations, some schools and teachers have forgotten their mission, which I believe simply put is “to improve learning”. Although I have not yet taught in a traditional school setting, in the past 4 years I have been in many different schools and have attended many parent teacher conferences where we discussed how to help a child improve their learning. Initially, I would come out of many of these meetings totally confused - but assuming I was the only one confused as the teacher certainly knew what they were talking about and if the parent did not understand certainly they would ask for clarification. As I became more experienced, I came to understand that during many of those conferences not only was I confused, but so was the parent, often times the teacher seemed to be more interested in using "education speak" to confuse or intimidate us, than to enlighten. This is the teaching equivalent of using a nuclear power plant to boil water for tea. In one fairly recent case, I attended a conference with one of my parents and their 2nd grader’s home room teacher where we discussed Tyler's math challenges. The teacher described her elaborate math program, it involved a number of illogical and confusing elements, but the most memorable element was her desire to provide each student with "5 or 6 strategies to choose from to solve each problem type." I thought, "I am an engineer and have used a lot of math in my life, but I don't think I could identify 5 or 6 strategies to answer a basic arithmetic problem”. After the meeting was over, the mother asked me, "what do you think Mike", my answer "I think Tyler needs to get another math teacher." She would have been more successful just using the “re-write problem #13 on a piece of paper, using only your homework papers” technique. By the way, she was fired before the school year ended.
I love the simple concept that "instruction starts when the bell rings". I did not realize it when writing last week’s blog entry, but this is one of the practices my favorite teacher, Senior Thome used. When the bell rung in Senior’s Spanish class, the expectation was that you were in your seat, not talking, and your Spanish book, notebook and a writing instrument were the only items on your desk. Also, be prepared for him to begin the daily class by striking up a conversation with you, in Spanish of course because that is the only language recognized in his class.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many useful techniques and concepts in this book it is hard to decide where to stop, but I will highlight two more. The first is Johnson's concept of notebook organization which leads to student organization. As with anything, when it comes to notebooks you must inspect what you expect. The U shaped classroom lends itself to continual observation or "inspection". In my business, I have worked with far too many students of all ages suffering from weak to non-existent "Executive Functioning Skills". My Freshman in college suffers from a mild version of Asperger’s Syndrome. One of the common traits of this syndrome is poor executive functioning skills. He is a brilliant kid, as many students with poor executive functioning skills are, he scored a 31 on the ACT but nearly flunked out of his first year of college. I have done quite a bit of reading about the syndrome and potential mitigations, both in an effort to help my son as well as to help my students. The only technique I have seen suggested is to help the student develop and maintain a strict organizational system, and to inspect it daily or even hourly. I believe Johnson's binder concept will help both Asperger’s and "regular" - students, provided it is implemented properly. Proper implementation must include frequent spot checks, and an absolute instance in organizing it the "right way". Students with weak executive functioning skills do not benefit from a "once a quarter" notebook check, nor by being given the opportunity to "develop an organizational system that works for them".
The final techniques I would like to elaborate on fit together to make a powerful combination. One is Johnson's process for spot checking homework, (students must write their problem solutions on a piece of paper and may only refer to their homework - not the text). The second is his process for students to communicate, by placing checkmarks on the white board next to the problem number(s) they had trouble with from last night's homework assignment.
I was discussing ARC and this book with my Junior in College yesterday - she is planning to be a secondary school English teacher. When I described the above two techniques she commented "oh sure, that is what Mr. Specht does". Don Specht is a legendary math teacher at the high school my 4 children attended. Emily described 2 additional steps Mr. Specht has added to refine this process, he always assigns homework 2 class sessions before it is “due”. He expects students to complete essentially a "first draft" of their homework by the following class, during that class he reviews only those 2 or 3 questions students indicated they had the most difficulty with, if you need further help you are to come to his office during lunch or after school. Mr. Specht always eats lunch in his classroom and never leaves school until at least 5PM, 2 hours after the students are released. The shear brilliance of this elegant but simply designed system is an example of the type of teaching techniques Johnson offer and I believe as an ARC student I must employ. (Note to self: email Don Specht today and set up a day to shadow him.)
I grasped 3 main ideas from reading Johnson’s “Motivation Counts”.
ReplyDelete1. One of the most important messages in this book is that a teacher should never answer a question that the class can answer themselves. We already know what we are teaching so we need to let students answer questions so we can learn what they know! This method is a lot easier said then done and will take practice to get into the habit of applying. Using this method will also help to build students’ confidence because they will see that they know a lot more then they give themselves credit for knowing.
2. Just as objectives of each day’s class build up to units, we must build up to tests through homework, note taking and reviews. Provide the students with the tools they need to succeed. Presenting them with a list of what should be known for the test should help them to stay focused on what they need to review. This seems to be a complete change from when I was in high school where tests were our “do or die” moments…
3. So many times I hear a student say, “This is stupid! When will I ever need to use this?” Incorporating application of the objective into the lessons should make real life use a bit more tangible. It will also help to make the transition to word problems smoother.
In order to be successful at implementing all of these great concepts, I will have to make sure I am thoroughly prepared before each class. I should know what questions I will want to ask to guide them through reviews, have the problems I want to present or work through already solved, and be ready with real life application.
These are some of the main points that impressed me in this book:
ReplyDelete1. Using word problems to make it real;
2. avoiding excessive praise;
3. the improved, paired U-shape arrangement of desks;
Johnson advocates avoiding pure abstract problems in favor of word problems so that students see how the math can be applied to an everyday situation. To take one example from the book, instead of asking thes student to solve:
(X-97) - 0.12(x-97)
he reformalates the problem to say: "what is the price of Norweigan salmon if the orginal price is (x-97) and it is discounted by 12%?"
Another math instruction book i read suggests that there is some danger of cultural bias setting in with word problems (perhaps that kid who just moved from england wont be so quick to figure out the question relating to baseball on your quiz). however, taking care about making the word problems generic enough, I this will still be a better approach than presenting problems in the pure abstract.
The chapter on avoiding excessive praise was a surprise to me. But it all made sense. The quip I remember from the book is fewer statements from the teacher, more questions.
lastly, the paired u-shape arrangement should make it easier to do group assignments while at the same time preserving the advantages that johnson noted in his first book, "Every Minute Counts." I have already observed the paired (but not U-shaped) arrangement of desks in the high school visit that I did.
Many of the other main points are sort of repeated from this book - he talks again about the importance of how to start the class off so that no time is wasted.
Also, although not a main theme in the book, I really liked the tennis ball problem on page 87 which i think will help students appreciate that looks can be decieving.
In my class, I think I may ask the students to change partners every week. I was considering every day but think this may be too disruptive. I want the students to keep changing partners so that they can get exposure to a larger number of other students. I think this will help them in their work careers independent of math.
David Johnson continues to share his inspiring teaching techniques in Motivation Counts. In Motivation Counts, Johnson improves on the techniques he developed in earlier publications and presents a wealth of new ideas for motivating students.
ReplyDeleteOne improvement that I was pleased to see was the modification of the seating chart that pairs students together. Of course the rearrangement is not just redecoration. It encourages and supports cooperative learning. Johnson suggests that the cooperative learning technique contributes a motivational element to the classroom. He wrote, “Working together is a tremendous confidence booster for most students.” Some of my best learning experiences have been when I worked with other students. When one student teaches another her understanding increases as she organizes her thoughts to help the other student. The taught student is in turn rewarded with better understanding. The relationship should develop into a partnership where each student makes contributions and helps the other. Johnson provides numerous guidelines for this relationship. Of them: “Whenever appropriate verbalize your strategy with your partner.” and “If calculations are involved work on them separately then compare answers.” These guidelines foster a cooperative partnership rather than a student/ teacher relationship.
In my school observations, I did not see any classrooms arranged with paired desks. At times, when students were to work together, they rearranged the room then restored the room when the task was complete. This seemed to waste time and Every Minute Counts! Why not keep a paired arrangement, promote motivation with cooperative learning and, as Johnson recommends, be consistent! I am looking forward to trying it in my classrooms.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteComing from a background of frequent presentations and constant day-to-day dialogue with clients, I completely relate to and grasp the concept of good questioning techniques. It's imperative to keep the door open for students to walk through as they think about ways to answer your open-ended question. And by implementing an appropriate pause at the right time during such questions, you'll promote increased thinking, the number of responses and lengthier responses as well. All that equals higher student confidence! You never want to paint yourself into a corner, and yes/no, true/false and one-word answer questions will get you there in a hurry!
ReplyDeleteI'm also a big believer in treating "mistakes as a route to success". If everyone coasted along always getting the right answers, would there be any learning going on? I say no. It is only by making mistakes, going back to observe/analyze what caused the error and reviewing/re-learning the ideas/concepts that actually cause us to effectively learn. It's essential this whole process be closely managed by the teacher so appropriate help and guidance can be given as needed. It's equally important the teacher create an atmosphere that lets students know it's natural and ok to make a mistake. It's part of the learning process, but also be clear of the strict process in place to learn from it.
A few main ideas from Johnson’s “Motivation Counts”.
ReplyDelete1. Johnson gives ideas on effective questioning techniques which would keep students engaged in activity. My favorite is that the best way to answer the students’ questions is by giving hints (by asking questions) to students so they can find the answer themselves. That means I would have to divide the solution into a very few simple pieces and ask a question for each piece. By answering questions students will complete the task
step by step.
It is very important that students believe that they are capable of completing a task, and praising students for finding the solution reinforces this effect; it will give them confidence and motivate them to look for the answer and not to wait for a teacher to give it.
A second result from asking questions is always feedback; teacher needs constant feedback on how well the students understand the material.
2. Material has to be reinforced at least three times:
First- explanation of the teacher, students have to follow the explanation, take notes and do exercises together with the teacher.
Second-Home work, independent work on the same material.
Third – Review sheet- teacher has to give similar exercises before a test; in completing them the student would get ready for the test.
According to Bloom’s Taxonomy research there are two more useful steps which additionally give a 14% improvement. I had an opportunity to see that they are very effective for students who did not get A or B:
Fourth- Work on mistakes which were made in the test.
Five- Retake the test and get the average grade.
Another technique proved to be very effective for me: it is additional activity, somewhere between Johnson’s first and second. After I explained the material and we solved a few exercises together students would work in small groups doing similar exercises without my help. At the end of this work, discussion would clarify any remaining questions, and of course gives the teacher feedback! This way they will know what to do at home.
Maybe this amount of repetition was necessary for me because it was a technical school with its specifics. But if a teacher sees that the material is understood, he/she can remove any of those extra steps at any time.
3. It is useful to approach abstract concepts beginning from some previous out of class experience and knowledge, from the word problems. Johnson believes that word models have to be used rather than just abstract equations. Additionally it shows students that Math is not detached from life, not just abstract numbers and categories but something useful for their lives.
I cannot say how many times I was “cutting pizza” explaining fractions. The result was always something like this: “I cannot believe I was afraid of fractions all my life!!!” There is another strategy which goes even a little bit further than just word problems. I like a strategy of “Understanding by design” - when a student has a task to create/make something and in order to do so he/she has to learn some information and implement it. Unfortunately this strategy is easier to implement in a Science classes rather than in Math, but some projects are such fun to do.
In Johnson’s “Motivation Counts”, he states “My class must be a place where the unexpected will occur, and the expected will always be present.” I believe this is a fantastic win-win for the student. After speaking with a variety of teachers, one of the general needs of today’s students is a strong element of structure in their daily routines. Having students walk into a classroom knowing what the flow will be sets immediate expectations and helps “make every minute count.” The key then is to modify the elements of the flow to keep children engaged with different activities, problems, group or individual activities, etc. This obviously makes lesson planning extremely important, as well as building up a portfolio of effective activities and problems (as Johnson suggests).
ReplyDeleteThe second point that I find would help students later in life is creating story situations, word problems, etc. This definitely helps answer the common student question – “why do I have to learn this?”. In addition, it helps students think differently and really understand the problem or issue in front of them. Chandan, I do agree with you that there may be some danger of cultural bias, but that issue is the problem of the educator. A teacher should know his/her class as best as possible. This could really create a dynamic environment when grouping students together, creating intriguing activities, etc. As Dewey believes, this interaction, variety, etc. stimulates growth in a variety of directions. Now, since we will probably not know much about our students/classmates in the first micro-teach, if using a word problem, a generic one may have to suffice.
Johnson’s ideas in Motivation Counts underscore the interactive nature of effective teaching by shifting to a student-centered experience (and away from a teacher-focused lecture). He provides many methods to engage the students so that they can remain actively and intellectually engaged in the material. I value the importance he gives to being a very clear and organized band leader, of teaching basic forms extensively (the “easy” material is really not so easy!), and of anticipating the rough spots and making the material relevant to the students.
ReplyDeleteHis discussion of student partnerships and interactions resonated with me and I could see how he included it on many levels. In the chart on “When to pause/Who pauses/Reasons for Pausing”, Johnson points out that an important reason that you pause is to allow students to listen to each other’s responses and to give them a chance to form their own responses/rebuttals. As a new teacher, I think it will be a challenge to stay aware of this and to let the moment happen, but I agree that it is important.
I was also impressed with his student guidelines for helping a friend or partner. He asks for the students to interact with each other in the same way that he interacts with them, by serving as a guide toward a solution instead of as someone who merely demonstrates how to perform a calculation. I think it will take some real maturity on the part of the students to interact at this level, but it is worth working toward this goal. (And if it is well-modeled by the teacher, hopefully they will get the idea before long!) During homework review, he allows the students to become the “teacher”, by having them use his techniques of working step by step and of pausing and questioning.
At a fundamental level we are teaching students how to reason through mathematical problems and to pose questions and to explore. But when we encourage and teach students how to guide/teach each other, it broadens the experience and makes it richer and more interactive, socially and intellectually. This will be a valuable skill for them to have in student and adult life.
Johnson’s Motivation Counts was a nice addition to his previous book, Every Minute Counts. He re-discusses and elaborates on some of the same concepts, such as seating arrangements, homework and testing, and the art of questioning. He also goes into depth about problem solving and gives plenty of examples of problems to be used in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteOne point that I found very impactful, which Johnson discusses at the beginning of the book, is switching from the traditional type of schooling of a teacher-centered classroom, to a more student-centered classroom. This type of progressive thinking is in line with the philosophies of the writers in our Philosophical Documents in Education book. The traditional teacher lectures and students memorize approach to teaching has always bothered me, and I find it refreshing to hear these educators expounding upon the same idea. If only one idea is taking from Johnson’s book I think it should be that, and all of his other ideas and techniques flow from that one concept.
I am also very fond of the author’s ideas about questioning, specifically asking questions to the whole class, the use of deliberate pauses, and asking questions that open up discussions and interactions among students. I believe that the art of questioning alone can transform a class and the way it is taught. I am excited to try out Johnson’s ideas about questioning in practicum.
Another concept that I found revolutionary in this book was the idea of putting meaning behind variables, rather than just manipulating symbols, through the use of pre-simplification exercises and word problems. This makes sense because the real world application of mathematics deals with problem solving, and ultimately that is what students should be learning. Understanding the meaning behind words problems, and taking the time to discuss it and set up the equations, is just as important as being able to solve the equations.
In conclusion, this book is another great tool for learning techniques to enhance and improve on one’s teaching, and to become an overall more effective educator. I will definitely take a more thorough look at the sample problems he includes in this book, although I wish he included an answer key as well!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOne point that stuck with me is “Cooperative learning” techniques where students are paired. Students are more likely to volunteer if they are not alone. And they respond well to the idea of helping each other.
ReplyDeleteAt both schools I observed I saw this technique used and it worked, the students were happy to help each other. In one situation, the student who was an ELL student became very good at graphing because he was coached by his class mate.
Another point is- “Consistency motivating Students as well as Inconsistency”. My conclusion is that one has to be consistent with rules/discipline for example at the bank; I see consistency as; being on time for work, good customer service, process transaction efficiently…and inconsistency as “running different promotions centering on the same product and introducing different products.
Similarly, Johnson consistently gives homework…but will vary the amount of time spent reviewing the homework etc.
The goal to have schools is for Students to learn, so it is vital that classrooms are shifting away from the traditional teacher centered classroom and becoming one that has more Student involvement (Student centered).
There are 3 points that I really appreciated:
ReplyDelete1) Being a band director (p 22)
Curiosity got the best of me last week and I watched the DVD that comes
with Lemov's book.... and it was awesome!! It's a compilation of clips
of teachers in the classroom in NYC schools.... and what caught my
attention from the very beginning was that the teacher was the focus of
the students CONSTANTLY. The teachers in these clips utilized many
statements like the ones listed in "Phrases that motivate." Speaking in
this manner, provides constant direction and guidance to each and every
student all the way through. If you use "Phrases that fail to motivate"
you are asking only one person to engage, not the entire group. I
really appreciate the warning about avoiding questions that "permit
most students NOT to participate." If students are allowed to disengage
on a daily basis as a result of your use of such questions, it's
possible that students will pay attention only when they hear their
name called... no focus = no learning.
2) Smothering students with praise (p 32)
Nonverbal communication is much more powerful than the words we speak,
and this is true in the classroom as well. You can subtly acknowledge
their answer with a nod of your head, and then immediately use one of
the questions listed there as a means of CONTINUING the class
conversation (using that answer as a starting point). In this way, you
are validating their response in a productive and effective way,
without closing the book on student-to-student discussion based on that
answer.
3) A testing plan for long-term learning (p 47)
How a test tests me (p 53)
Johnson takes a firm stance on the involved role he holds himself
accountable for with regard to test preparation and the teaching of
note-taking skills. In my H.S. observation, the teacher passed out a
geometry packet with diagrams and blank space.... by the end of class
my packet was written all over and highlighted, and some of the
students around me hadn't even flipped to the second page. The
structured way Johnson breaks down how he himself teaches note-taking
skills is a method that I am definitely going to work on adapting and
utilizing in my own teaching. You as the teacher are not only teaching
them math, but you are helping them and teaching them how to be
effective LEARNERS as well.
The list of questions that Johnson states on page 53 with regard
to "How a test tests me" also caught my attention. Using the grading of
tests as a method of self-evaluation was not something I'd ever thought
of. I especially liked the idea of jotting down a few notes as you
grade, keeping track of any patterns that arise in the student's work.
By using self-evaluation in this way, you are setting yourself up to be
a more effective teacher the next time around.
In Johnson’s Motivations Counts, a lot of the points were covered in Every Minute Counts. What distinguished this book from the earlier one was the abundance of specific examples.
ReplyDeleteI especially found the section on training students to be good note takers to be very helpful. I think this technique will go a long way to convincing students that you want them to succeed on tests; as opposed to thinking you are trying to “trap them” with tests.
I like the idea of having them summarize the lesson at the end. Having to describe the objective in their own words will help them with retention.
I am a little skeptical of the idea of having a test every Friday. With test prep on Thursday, the test itself on Friday and test review on Monday, that’s part of three periods taken up with the test.
It looks like the card trick book that Johnson mentions is out of print, and only available to members of COMAP. Is membership in this organization worthwhile?
In chapter one, Johnson writes about how consistency motivates students. As an adult, I appreciate having clear goals to meet. It is difficult to feel successful if you don't know what another person's expectations are. This must be especially true for a student who knows that her grade will be based on meeting a teacher's expectations. This ties back to the importance of defining your objective at the beginning of developing a lesson plan. As a teacher, I want to strive to create patterns in the way I assign homework, grade homework, and help students prepare for exams. I don't want my students to feel like they can't succeed because they don't know in detail what I am asking them to do.
ReplyDeleteIn chapter five, Johnson writes about motivation through problem-solving experiences. I remember disliking word problems as a junior high math student, and often my frustration was in feeling that I didn't know where to begin. Johnson gives several points about how to attack a word problem, and in his examples poses very specific questions about the problem. One additional thing that I might try is creating two lists on the board during this process. One list would be known information and the second list would be unknown information. I think that having a list of "unknowns" would help clarify the objective of the word problem by showing which pieces of information are missing. For word problems with multiple steps, it would also be useful in defining what piece of information we are finding first, second, third, etc.
In Johnson's Motivation Counts there are many great points that are closely related to "Every Minute Counts" , But there are two points that stick out for me, questioning and motivating through problem solving experiences. What I learned the hard way in regards to problem solving is learning to extract valuable information pertinent to the problem. Word problems seem to be such a challenge for many students because they did not know the ways to "attack" a problem. I recalled sitting through math classes and after an objective was taught a word problem came out and most of the class grumbled. I believe word problems can be beneficial to class if it maintains to be fresh and applicable to real life situations. Consistent motivation and questioning is necessary in order to connect new content. Even being comical can relieve some of the tension when creating and solving word problems. The idea of working in pairs is helpful providing that they understand and are able to work in attacking the problem together. Adding students name or popular names can be helpful as demonstrated in the book. Learning different ways to present problems and diffusing them for the students will help in my teaching of my subject material. I must admit when I was in school I enjoyed the algebra problems and calculus problems but did not always fully enjoy word problems in fear of getting the problem wrong and being embarrassed. This is a fear for many students today.
ReplyDeleteI understand that some praise is necessary but the motivation of questioning is paramount. How do you know how to ask the right question without getting the complete blank stare from your audience? Even much so when asking the question motivating even more participation? In the second chapter I answered some of those questions with the self- evaluation on questioning. It is such a long check list that one can get absorbed in how and what to ask. When only one or two students answer all your questions raised and the rest of the class is in bewilderment then you know there is a problem. This check list basically sums up the whole chapter and will help all aspiring teachers to think and evaluate the type of questions that are asked . Effective pausing , group participation, and most important a fearless classroom. I believe a fearless class room is one that a student can ask a question pertaining to assignment or objective and not fear embarrassment received from the teacher or his peers. Class is the time to ask questions to further understanding and not inhibit fear. Building confidence in your students may be the biggest motivator
David Johnson's "Motivation Counts" was extremely similar to his book "Every Minute Counts." Between the two I took more away from and enjoyed "Every Minute Counts" more. Maybe it's like Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons", which ever one you read first you usually end up liking more. However, two of Johnson's topics in "Motivation Counts" really stood out to me.
ReplyDeleteI was already a fan of the U-Shaped seating mentioned in his earlier work. Adding the twist of pairing two students together made me more of a fan. It clearly defines, as he says, students "partners" for the year. When doing group work, there is not any wasted time assigning partners or groups because you are already paired up. Johnson said that by working together (especially on harder topics), it motivates the students to participate more and more effectively. Johnson mentioned that there were times he would call on a pair of students to come to the board to complete a problem as opposed to a single student. This provided his students with more confidence when asked to perform in front of the class. Students can also help go over homework, prepare and study for tests and help to teach each other throughout the year. By providing them with "Students Guidelines for working in Pairs" and "Student Guidelines for Helping a Friend or Partner" you help to ensure productivity between them.
I thought Chapter Five, "Motivating Through Problem-Solving Experiences" was also very interesting. The importance he placed on teaching with real word examples as opposed to just solving an equation makes too much sense not to adopt. Having been privileged enough to witness student to teach interaction for two months, the phrase "When will we ever use this in the real world?" was used on a regular basis in class. Being able to show students through real life examples exactly how they would be able to use math can only increase the interest level; there is no negative effects of incorporating this into a lesson plan. I liked the example comparing (p+25) - (.012)(p+25) to the word problem, "The sale price of Norwegian skis if the original selling price was (p+25) dollars and the discount rate being offered is 12%." Presenting math in this manner is more fun for the students and the teacher.
I am unable to post from my account so seeing if it will allow me post as Anonymous. This is Len.
ReplyDeleteJohnson’s “Motivation Counts” was another enjoyable quick read that meshed nicely with and improved on his first book.
In my tour as a department head and instructor a phrase that was common among the instructors was “Structured Variety”. That phrase talks to the point Johnson makes early in the book about providing the structured routine that students need but within that structure providing the variety that makes it engaging and interactive for them. Both of those elements need to be present to maximize the learning environment of the student as the structure lets them know what to expect while the variety keeps them from tuning out.
A second point that I found reinforcing of a real life experience is Johnson’s point on making the classroom student centered rather than the older, more traditional teacher centric. A good friend of mine is a pastor and a brilliant speaker. When I asked him about it he told me that a mentor of his the key to preaching is to think about “The View from the Pew”. When planning his sermons he puts himself in the seat of his audience to make sure his methods and message resonate with them. And while it’s not a direct parallel the principle behind “View from the Pew” and making the classroom student centric is the same. It’s all about the audience and the better you connect at that level the more effective the learning that takes place will be.
A quick final point that I would like to touch on is how Johnson uses words instead of the abstract to “make it real” to the students. While it will never be appropriate in a math classroom to start a topic with “the reason you need to know this material is because if you don’t you will die” like I did with my CBR (chem./bio/rad) class making the student understand how the subject at hand applies to them and why it is important increases their engagement. In the first book Johnson talked about using an anecdote to introduce a new concept as an effective tool to “make it real” and in this work uses word problems to connect the concept to the student in a way that will make it meaningful for them. By making that real connection you increase your chances that you will get the student an active participant in the learning process and that is half the battle.
Adam Scianna
ReplyDeleteNorwalk, CT
Although the focus of this book was about motivation, the main emphasis was in (1) changing the classroom atmosphere from teacher centered to student centered and (2) making the classroom a "safe" environment for students to explore the subject. Johnson is then able to show how one can create this atmosphere through the classroom routine, through questioning, and even through homework and tests.
A key point that Johnson makes in order to achieve these goals is to remove the word "lecture" from the classroom experience. He states there should be an ongoing dialogue with not just one student and a time but with all students. He again mentions the U-Shape classroom but now puts students in pairs and he even discussed how one can change the typical homework review into a group exercise.
A lot of work Johnson talks about in this book was model in our first Methods section. Randy paired us in groups in a non-traditional setting and took the time to get to know our names and background. He created a safe environment for us to interact with each other and also himself. The bottom line is that we need to make students realize that we are not out to get them and we want them to ask questions and interact in the classroom.
From Rick:
ReplyDeleteIn “Motivation Counts” Johnson expands on his Art of Questioning that he originally introduced in “Every Minute Counts”. I am fascinated by the simplicity of the concept and the profound impact it can have in the classroom. However, just because the concept is simple (“involve all students with your questions and not just one student at a time”) does not imply it is easy to master. It takes practice and the inclusion of well-formulated questions in lesson planning. A valuable checklist for performing a self-evaluation on your questioning techniques is provided in this book.
A few specific points regarding good questioning techniques resonated with me.
• Well–formulated questions can transform a class from a lecture (with some students disengaged) into a dialogue between the teacher and the students and the students with each other. [During a Middle School observation on Friday I witnessed a student explain to a confused classmate how to determine the slope of a line. Although the explanation was not very rigorous with respect to math terminology, the once confused student was quickly able to complete sample slope problems correctly. I believe the value of this type of dialogue cannot be overestimated and would not occur as often in a lecture format.] Johnson provides subtle wording changes in how questions are asked that can help transform the class into a dialogue with everyone involved. For example, when a teacher asks, “are there any questions” after an explanation the question is often met with silence. Subtly changing the wording to “Now ask me some questions” lets the class know that questions are encouraged.
• Be careful with praise. When a teacher responds with a “good” or “great” to a student’s answer the chance for further explanation or thought may be cut off. Johnson provides several comments that can be used instead (such as “tell us how you arrived at that”).
• Building “pauses” at appropriate times into the art of questioning is another simple technique that I am sure takes skill and practice to implement. When the teacher doesn’t pause after asking a question, eventually all but the top students will tune out the questions believing that they won’t have time to understand the question and formulate an answer. When pauses are included after teacher questions weaker students contribute more, confidence increases, and the variety and creativity of the responses increases. Similarly, when a student asks a question of the teacher the teacher needs to pause to allow everyone in the class time to comprehend the question and be prepared to listen to the response. When both the teacher and the students understand the value of the pause after questions are asked there is a higher level of participation in the class and quick thoughtless answers are less prevalent.
• Johnson’s technique of requiring students to be prepared for class with paper and pencil supports the art of questioning. Questions can easily be directed to everyone by asking for a written response. This automatically builds a “pause” into the question, it is more safe for the less confident student, and it allows the teacher to walk around to check student work.
Key Points offered by Randy
ReplyDeleteFrom Mike:
"but it strikes me that techniques such as those described by Johnson must provide us with a goodly portion of our initial foundation of teaching skills." - building up your toolbox
From Brenda:
"When will I ever need to use this?” Incorporating application of the objective into the lessons should make real life use a bit more tangible." - Some topics are not utilitarian but I press my students to understand that humans think - "I think therefore I am."
From Chandan:
"taking care about making the word problems generic enough, I this will still be a better approach than presenting problems in the pure abstract." - Salmon is not relevant to the students so what about the price of iPhones? We want RELEVANT REAL LIFE EXAMPLES (RRLEs)
From Mark:
"When one student teaches another her understanding increases as she organizes her thoughts to help the other student." - meanwhile the teacher can give assistance to students who are especially lost.
From Roger:
"It's equally important the teacher create an atmosphere that lets students know it's natural and ok to make a mistake." - many teachers approach math as all or nothing and this makes risk daunting for the students. Important point.
From Victoria:
"It is very important that students believe that they are capable of completing a task" - this aligns with Roger's point and invokes metacognition. Students need to learn how to be a good math student and realize you don't have to know the answer immediately to figure out the problem.
From Shaun: "keep children engaged" - you guys noticing a theme in the readings!??!?!
From Catherine:
"Pose questions and explore" - Scientific method is how people learn. Watch any toddler figure out how a door works.
From Joshua:
"student centered" speaks to the Scientific Method and Piaget and Vygotsky. Again, how do young children learn? They engage the world around them and make discoveries. They don't simply memorize stuff.
From Ayileru (Annadoug):
"ELL student became very good at graphing because he was coached by his class mate" - Great way to provide support for kids needing extra help.
From Jenae:
Her #3 point describes scaffolding which is a big time topic!
From Ellen:
Her point about training students to take notes (and use them) is profoundly overlooked in education. We'll talk about this.
From Rachelle:
"I remember disliking word problems as a junior high math student, and often my frustration was in feeling that I didn't know where to begin." - BINGO, teachers often expect students to do certain things but never train them, e.g. take notes, problem-solve, FOLLOW EXAMPLES.
From Cordell:
"Building confidence in your students may be the biggest motivator" - math anxiety is ubiquitous in school. People naturally avoid what causes them anxiety or what is too challenging for them. On the other hand, people tend to engage in activities in which they are successful.
From Bruce:
"The importance he placed on teaching with real word examples as opposed to just solving an equation makes too much sense not to adopt." Teachers readily fall into the rote memorization trap. Watch what happens during microteach presentations.
From Len: "Structure" - self-evident point
From Adam: "lecture" gets a bad rap. What do we mean by lecture? Lecture can be dialogue and often should be. Sometimes pure lecturing is necessary but should be kept to a minimum. ENGAGE the students with dialogue. We'll hit this hard.
From Rick:
"I am fascinated by the simplicity of the concept" - a great quote from a candidate from this last cohort, "Keeping it simple is hard work." :)
Responding to Brenda’s comments:
ReplyDeleteI agree; students should be provided with what they need to succeed. Tests do not have to be “‘do or die’ moments” if the exam is not a mystery. Students should know what to be prepared for through note taking, homework and reviews. That said, things change when the student gets to college. In college, the student is responsible t for recognizing what is expected of them and what might be on exam. It will be the study habits and note taking skills that we teach them that will prepare them for the transition from HS to college.
Cordell reminded me of a very similar experience that I had in math classes: learning a new skill and then being given word problems to solve. Yikes! Addressing the word problem was like walking into a different world with a different language! I’m glad to learn the new term RRLE (relevant real life example). What I have been seeing more of now is - teachers beginning a lesson with a RRLE and hooking the students by getting them interested in finding a solution, thus opening the door to teaching/learning the new skill that will get them there most effectively. I would have enjoyed my math classes more, had the lesson been reversed – with a word problem first!
ReplyDeleteResponding to Rick's points on good questioning techniques: In one of my classroom observations, the teacher had everyone grab a "personal whiteboard" and marker. As she asked questions, she had students write down their work and answers on their whiteboards and then hold them up. I thought it was an interesting way to get immediate feedback on who understood the topic without specifically calling on any student. She would then work the problem, sometimes asking a student who got it correctly to explain how he/she got to the answer. Since she could also see where others made mistakes on their boards, she could comment on those mistakes as well without identifying those students directly.
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing a poster in one of the Math Classrooms, the Poster stated the fact that in every area of life- Math is useful, and gave examples. I thought it was very interesting and determined then to use that in my classroom.
ReplyDeleteAs Bruce mentioned, students often ask, “when will we ever use this in the real world” – even if not said audibly, they wonder about it in their minds. Being able to help them see the use; how it will help them-“what is in it for them” using real life examples will go a long way to motivate them because they will be able to see how useful Math is.
Hi Chandar,
ReplyDeleteYou said: “In my class, I think I may ask the students to change partners every week. I was considering every day but think this may be too disruptive. I want the students to keep changing partners so that they can get exposure to a larger number of other students. I think this will help them in their work careers independent of math.”
I like the idea of exposure to a larger number of other students, but that means your students will not have assigned seats, right? And I think this could create a problem. In order to control your classroom you need to know where each of your students is at any moment, even when you are writing something on the board. Another thing is a student may feel more comfortable to work with one student and less so with another. If we are pushing this student to work with somebody he/she is less comfortable to work with, it will affect the learning results negatively. And I think the priority is a Math, not advancement in interpersonal relationships. Do you agree with that? Maybe you would choose some more effective ways to build a cooperative atmosphere in the classroom?
I enjoy reading your posts, they are always thoughtful. Thank you.
In response to Randy's comment, I absolutely agree that children learn through experience. This is central to my personal philosophy of teaching. This relates to Bruce's post about "motivating through problem solving experiences." I also found this topic very beneficial and plan to use this technique in my teaching.
ReplyDeleteJenae said, "You as the teacher are not only teaching them math, but you are helping them and teaching them how to be effective LEARNERS as well."
ReplyDeleteWhen I read Connecticut's Common Core of Learning I was struck by how it focused on acquiring skills, rather than being a checklist of math concepts. For example, "select and use appropriate approaches and tools for solving..." I think Jenae spoke directly to this point when she wrote about students becoming effective learners.
Adam Scianna:
ReplyDeleteIn response to Randy's comment, "lecture" does get a bad rap. Also if there is any Dilbert fans out there I would like to bring up the "Death by PPT." There are definitely right and wrong ways to use PPT and if used correctly it is a great tool. If used incorrectly I think you can lose an audience on the first slide.
In response to Len's comment about the pastor putting himself in the seat of the audience to get a better perspective on the sermon. I have heard that it might be beneficial to videotape oneself teaching and to go back and review the footage to gain a better understanding of how one teaches.
Comment to what Chandan posted: "In my class, I think I may ask the students to change partners every week."
ReplyDeleteI think Johnson's ideas of assigned partners is very useful, however I think Chandan's idea of changing partners every week or just in general is even better. A student may have a partner that does not put a lot of effort into the class, they may not get along with their partner, etc. Changing partners continues to add a different perspective to the students learning experience, and perspective is always good.
Hi Victoria:
ReplyDeleteif i change partners every week, i would have to make new seating charts but i see your point that it would be too much work. maybe monthly will be better.
chandan
Catherine, thank you for the comment. I can recall in my school observations that almost every math class began with a RRLE. With the " hooks" in the students then the teachers drew upon it and thus were more connected to the material. Connecting subject with overall interests of the class makes the subject even more relevant. Catherine, did you ever notice in your observations if the teacher allowed the students to be the teacher in the classroom ( along the lines of working out problems or going over steps)?
ReplyDelete